When A Veteran Dies
So much pain in their hearts
So many tears in their eyes
It hurts like shooting darts
When a veteran cries.
Memories of war
Keep most silent
memories, I'm sure
are the most violent.
Flashbacks that burn
A fire that's ice
Friends that turn
C-rations drier than rice.
Buddies that die,
Some end their life,
Mothers that cry,
It twists like a knife.
Smothered with pain,
Buried in the dirt,
Covered in rain,
A newly ripped shirt.
Great success, when a veteran tries,
Sickness and fear, when a veteran lies,
Great heartbreak, when a veteran cries,
But scars and pain...when a veteran dies...
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (When A Veteran Dies by Emily Wallace )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- A moment of truth, Mark Heathcote
- After Jacques Brel, mary douglas
- I Didn't Want This To Admit, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Deciding They Will Run, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Cutting Edges Plaguing, Terence G. Craddock
- Curse, MAD DEW
- Nature's Glory, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- A SECRET, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Life Image Distortions, Terence G. Craddock
- From Chibok With Love, Adeosun Olamide