Tom J. Mariani (January 1948 / San Francisco, CA)
Who's To Say?
Read in the paper today
That it's genetic
If either of your parents
Depression and/or addiction
You are also likely
It's not always only the enviironmnet
Can no longer blame it on just that
It's in the blood
As they used to say
Actually it's in the brain
Out of balance
They don't know
They're trying to be
More currently and
But what does science know
Nothing except what a bunch
Of people sitting around
In white lab coats say
They probably had parents
Depressed and addicted too
footnote: William Styron 'Darkness Visible A Memoir of Madness
'I shall never learn what 'caused' my depression, as no one will ever learn about their own. To be able to do so will likely forever prove to be an impossibility, so complex are the intermingled factors of abnormal chemistry, behavior and geneitcs.'
Poet Other Poems
- *** 08-25-09 ***THE KENNEDYS - - - Myth ...
- **** U.S. Election 2008 - What as suppo...
- ****02-22-10****It Wasn't About Singing ...
- ****02-22-10****It's Time To Empty The N...
- ****03-21-2010*** re POPE'S Apology Lett...
- ****12-10-09* Monepic Poetry
- ***03-25=2010*** How In The Hell Are The...
- ***03-26-2010*** The Heart of A Writer's...
- ***05-09**SYMPTOMS of Being a Poet
- ***6-25-09**What Soughs Through Me
- ***AUG 13-09***For the Thousands That Ha...
- ***July 1 2009***Giving His Boots a Rest
- **[revised 11-19-09] Getting Through Oct...
- **04 - 2009 - Drift, Drown, or Decide
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.