wishes for sons
i wish them cramps.
i wish them a strange town
and the last tampon.
I wish them no 7-11.
i wish them one week early
and wearing a white skirt.
i wish them one week late.
later i wish them hot flashes
and clots like you
wouldn't believe. let the
flashes come when they
meet someone special.
let the clots come
when they want to.
let them think they have accepted
arrogance in the universe,
then bring them to gynecologists
not unlike themselves.
Lucille Clifton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (wishes for sons by Lucille Clifton )
- Only witness, gajanan mishra
- My Life, Ivan Christabel Prashant
- 수원 ANMA☞０１０▼５９３３▼０４３７☜수원 ANMA, zczx zxczxc
- Dreams, Daisy Pereira
- Beauty of Care, Rohit Sapra
- 수원 ANMA MASSAJE ♠♠010 ５９４６ ０３７７♠♠수원[수원] .., zczx zxczxc
- 수원[수원] ANMA수원[수원] AN, zczx zxczxc
- A Spray of Water: Tanka [one narcissus], Chimako Tada
- And water lies plainly, Laurie Sheck
- Three Little Words, Adam Wilson
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)