Yesternight - how long it seems! -
Met I in the land of dreams,
One that loved me long ago -
Better it had not been so.
For, we met not as of old -
I was planting in the mould
Of his grave, some flowers to be,
When he came and talked with me.
White his forehead was, and fair,
With such crowns as angels wear,
And his voice - but I alone
Ever heard so sweet a tone!
All I prized but yesterday
In the distance lessening lay,
Like some golden cloud afar,
Fallen and faded from a star.
Hushed the chamber is, he said,
Hushed and dark where we must wed,
But our bridal home is bright -
Wilt thou go with me to-night?
Answering then, I sadly said,
I am living, thou art dead;
Darkness rests between us twain,
Who shall make the pathway plain?
Ah! thou lovest not, he cried,
Else to thee I had not died;
Else all other hope would be
As a rain-drop to the sea.
Farther, dimmer, earth withdrew,
Lower, softer bent the blue,
And like bubbles in the wine
Blent the whispers, I am thine.
Angels saw I to their bowers
Bearing home the sheaves of flowers,
And could hear their anthem swells,
Reaping in the asphodels.
O'er my head a wildbird flew,
Shaking in my face the dew;
Underneath a woodland tree,
I, my love, had dreamed of thee.
Alice Cary's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Yesternight by Alice Cary )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Where The Mind Is Without Fear, Rabindranath Tagore
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- কবিতাপল্লি, Hanzala Han
- Other Guys, Amber Carr
- I've Got Time, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- A Vultures Meal, Tiger Auntunette
- Nothing can break the focus., Sumita Jetley
- Ever So Cute, riya misi
- Unlock From Sockets, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- PRAY OUT YOUR PAST, Michael P. Johnson
- Christmas, Titiksa Dugar
- alphabet you two bucks you drive a truck, Mandolyn ...