Together Poems - Poems For Together
Poems about together. You can read the best together poems. Browse through all together poems.
The Last Ride Together - Poem by Robert Browning
I said---Then, dearest, since 'tis so,
Since now at length my fate I know,
Since nothing all my love avails,
Since all, my life seemed meant for, fails,
Since this was written and needs must be---
My whole heart rises up to bless
Your name in pride and thankfulness!
Take back the hope you gave,---I claim
---Only a memory of the same,
---And this beside, if you will not blame,
Your leave for one more last ride with me.
My mistress bent that brow of hers;
Those deep dark eyes where pride demurs
When pity would be softening through,
Fixed me, a breathing-while or two,
With life or death in the balance: right!
The blood replenished me again;
My last thought was at least not vain:
I and my mistress, side by side
Shall be together, breathe and ride,
So, one day more am I deified.
Who knows but the world may end tonight?
Hush! if you saw some western cloud
All billowy-bosomed, over-bowed
By many benedictions---sun's
And moon's and evening-star's at once---
And so, you, looking and loving best,
Conscious grew, your passion drew
Cloud, sunset, moonrise, star-shine too,
Down on you, near and yet more near,
Till flesh must fade for heaven was here!---
Thus leant she and lingered---joy and fear!
Thus lay she a moment on my breast.
Then we began to ride. My soul
Smoothed itself out, a long-cramped scroll
Freshening and fluttering in the wind.
Past hopes already lay behind.
What need to strive with a life awry?
Had I said that, had I done this,
So might I gain, so might I miss.
Might she have loved me? just as well
She might have hated, who can tell!
Where had I been now if the worst befell?
And here we are riding, she and I.
Fail I alone, in words and deeds?
Why, all men strive and who succeeds?
We rode; it seemed my spirit flew,
Saw other regions, cities new,
As the world rushed by on either side.
I thought,---All labour, yet no less
Bear up beneath their unsuccess.
Look at the end of work, contrast
The petty done, the undone vast,
This present of theirs with the hopeful past!
I hoped she would love me; here we ride.
What hand and brain went ever paired?
What heart alike conceived and dared?
What act proved all its thought had been?
What will but felt the fleshly screen?
We ride and I see her bosom heave.
There's many a crown for who can reach,
Ten lines, a statesman's life in each!
The flag stuck on a heap of bones,
A soldier's doing! what atones?
They scratch his name on the Abbey-stones.
My riding is better, by their leave.
What does it all mean, poet? Well,
Your brains beat into rhythm, you tell
What we felt only; you expressed
You hold things beautiful the best,
And pace them in rhyme so, side by side.
'Tis something, nay 'tis much: but then,
Have you yourself what's best for men?
Are you---poor, sick, old ere your time---
Nearer one whit your own sublime
Than we who never have turned a rhyme?
Sing, riding's a joy! For me, I ride.
And you, great sculptor---so, you gave
A score of years to Art, her slave,
And that's your Venus, whence we turn
To yonder girl that fords the burn!
You acquiesce, and shall I repine?
What, man of music, you grown grey
With notes and nothing else to say,
Is this your sole praise from a friend,
``Greatly his opera's strains intend,
``Put in music we know how fashions end!''
I gave my youth; but we ride, in fine.
Who knows what's fit for us? Had fate
Proposed bliss here should sublimate
My being---had I signed the bond---
Still one must lead some life beyond,
Have a bliss to die with, dim-descried.
This foot once planted on the goal,
This glory-garland round my soul,
Could I descry such? Try and test!
I sink back shuddering from the quest.
Earth being so good, would heaven seem best?
Now, heaven and she are beyond this ride.
And yet---she has not spoke so long!
What if heaven be that, fair and strong
At life's best, with our eyes upturned
Whither life's flower is first discerned,
We, fixed so, ever should so abide?
What if we still ride on, we two
With life for ever old yet new,
Changed not in kind but in degree,
The instant made eternity,---
And heaven just prove that I and she
Ride, ride together, for ever ride?
Comments about The Last Ride Together by Robert Browning
Poems About Together
- 1. The Last Ride Together , Robert Browning
- 2. We May Live Together , Anne Bradstreet
- 3. Together , Siegfried Sassoon
- 4. Eating Together , Li-Young Lee
- 5. Alive Together , Lisel Mueller
- 6. The Two Of Us Won’t Share A Glass Together , Anna Akhmatova
- 7. Riding Together , William Morris
- 8. We Two Boys Together Clinging , Walt Whitman
- 9. The Trail's End , Bonnie Parker
- 10. We Have Been Friends Together , Caroline Elizabeth Sarah Nor ..
- 11. Togetherness , Yusef Komunyakaa
- 12. The Story Of Bonnie And Clyde , Bonnie Parker
- 13. We Go Out Together In The Staring Town , Kenneth Patchen
- 14. Sleeping Together , Katherine Mansfield
- 15. Taken All Together , Gamaliel Bradford
- 16. My Darling, We Sat Together , Heinrich Heine
- 17. All Together Now , Terri Witek
- 18. The Moon Versus Us Ever Sleeping Togethe.. , Richard Brautigan
- 19. Unending Love , Rabindranath Tagore
- 20. Together , Maxine Kumin
- 21. When We Were Here Together , Kenneth Patchen
- 22. Eating Together , Kim Addonizio
- 23. Marriage , Kahlil Gibran
- 24. Evangeline: A Tale Of Acadie , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 25. ♥ Friends ♥ , Jade Just me
- 26. Love One Another , Kahlil Gibran
- 27. Disparity , hasmukh amathalal
- 28. Family Comes Together , Glaedr the poet
- 29. When If Meets Must , James Weldon Lane
- 30. Courtship Of Miles Standish, The , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 31. Together , Allyson Gordon
- 32. O’ You My Luminescent Lips , Dr. Sakti P. Chakravorty
- 33. Love , mike monahan
- 34. Ballad Of Human Life , Thomas Lovell Beddoes
- 35. 12. Love Is – Togetherness! [on Love A C.. , Angelina Pandian
- 36. The Gospel According To Lilith- Chapters.. , Lonnie Hicks
- 37. The Klondike , Edwin Arlington Robinson
- 38. The Way Things Are Supose To Be , Moon beam
- 39. The Courtship Of Miles Standish , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 40. Together , Dan Brown
- 41. Intwining Souls , Brooke Audino
- 42. Liberty To Go , Palas Kumar Ray
- 43. Together , Nikki Addleton
- 44. 'We Belong Together' , Sarah Perez
- 45. The Odyssey , Homer
- 46. Stairs , Palas Kumar Ray
- 47. Together Apart , Scarlett Treat
- 48. We Have To Be Together! ! ! , angelica ayman
- 49. When We Are Together , Alon Calinao Dy
- 50. Two Love Birds , Kolawole Ajao
New Together Poems
- Invocation To Kun, The Receptive, Denis Mair
- Togetherness, Tushar Ray
- Together, Jeff Gangwer
- As Friends We Will Forever Remain, Rohit Sapra
- Together, Wallis minten
- Arrogant People Swim In The Same Ocean, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Dear Daddy, Daniella Burke
- I Miss You Like Krayzie By Cloud Nineteen, Michael Jones
- The Commitment, Nathan B Mayer
- Blitz., Frank Jones
- carpe diem