William F Dougherty
William F Dougherty Poems
- Wallace Stevens: The Click Of ...
- Epithalamium (For Cynthia Ann Dougherty) Towing your ...
- The Zipper [from the Crab Sonnets] They sank a silver ...
- A Roman Sentry's Friday Duty A soldier's curse is not the ...
- Grayscale The archived rite returns in gothic gray: a ...
- Candle Power The unction cools my brow; the candle ...
- September 11 (See New Revision... I slouch into my class, bowed...
William F. Dougherty, Ph.D., has published two books of poetry and served as a newspaper editor, critic, lecturer, reviewer, and speechwriter. He wrote his master's thesis on W. B. Yeats at Central Connecticut State University and his doctoral dissertation on Wallace Stevens for his PhD from the University of Connecticut.
Dr. Dougherty has taught courses at Central Connecticut University, University of Connecticut, University of Hartford, Teikyo-Post University, Manchester Community College, and Eastern Connecticut State University.
He has published poems in The Wallace Stevens Review, North American Review,
Descant, Forum (Houston) , Romantics Quarterly, The ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Wallace Stevens: The Click Of Marbled Orbs
(Sonnet as Keynote to WS)
The stout man puffs on his Havana cigar
And picks canary chords on his blue guitar,
Fashions flawed words and spindrift sounds
Into day-glow verbs and glass-blown nouns.
How much the notion of a supreme fiction
Derives from bric-a-brac and spiffy diction
None knows. Say his thickest absolutes
Derive from blue rotundities of fruits:
His crispest jugglery performs the feat
Of hardening stealthy points into concrete
Trombones, sausage-makers, cattle skulls,
And pettifogging buds. His monocle's
Univocal, a prop ...