William F Dougherty
A Promise to Keep (Update.)
Words are for those with promises to keep. — W.H. Auden
I promised her the garden's glory:
marigold's monarchal blooms,
ageratum's lavender fuzz, the
grainy beards of coxcombs' plumes;
sturdy zinnias, salvia's flames,
snapdragons, and tiger lilies: raw
cuttings from home to grace a stone
in final, promissory awe.
Crystal-needled frost struck and drained
the promised flowers brown; left them
in rows of shriveled heads to nod
on gallows of each blackened stem.
I bought chrysanthemums and filled
her navy vase with bronze and gold
clusters to decorate the grave—
my quaking hand let slip its hold.
The vase discharged against a stone
and shattered, as if the cobalt night
had cracked again: the fragments gemmed
my gold bouquet with bluish light.
The flowers lost—love left unsaid—
planted in my repentant sleep
the seeds to start a garden of words
where love and promises will keep.
(Re-worded published in 'The Lyric.' Fall,2012.
Earlier versions appeared in 'Owl Light, and
'Poems: New & Used.')
Who's Who in Poetry 2012 (page 1)
William F Dougherty's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Promise to Keep (Update.) by William F Dougherty )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Viral McDonald's Meat, Richard Thripp
- Eight Hundred And Eighty Five Words, Breanna Choma
- Gay Sailors, Richard Thripp
- Let's Rock and Roll~~~OUT!, Monk E. Biz
- Crimes of Mandela, Richard Thripp
- The Rebellion Has Started!, Monk E. Biz
- What Really Matters?, Monk E. Biz
- Abandon Ship! ! !, Monk E. Biz
- Your H0le Is Small~, Monk E. Biz
- One Law To Rule Them All?, Terence G. Craddock