Yevgeny Yevtushenko Poems
- Humor Tsars, Kings, Emperors, sovereigns of all the earth, ...
- Colours When your face came rising above my crumpled life, ...
- Breaking Up I fell out of love: that’s our story’s dull ...
- Being Late Something dangerous is beginning: I am coming ...
- Don't Disappear Don't disappear.... By disappearing from me, ...
- Conversation With An American ... 'You have courage, ' ...
- Irony The twentieth century has often fooled us. We've been ...
Yevgeny Aleksandrovich Yevtushenko is a Soviet and Russian poet. He is also a novelist, essayist, dramatist, screenwriter, actor, editor, and a director of several films.
Yevtushenko was born Yevgeny Aleksandrovich Gangnus (later he took his mother's last name, Yevtushenko) in the Irkutsk region of Siberia in a small town called Zima Junction on 18 July 1933 to a peasant family of mixed Russian, Ukrainian and Tatar heritage, "His great-grandfather, Joseph Yevtushenko, a suspected subversive, was exiled to Siberia after the 1881 assassination of Emperor Alexander II and died en route. Both of Yevtushenko's grandfathers were arrested during Stalin's purges... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Quotationsmore quotations »
''Why is it that right-wing bastards always stand shoulder to shoulder in solidarity, while liberals fall out among themselves?''Yevgeny Yevtushenko (b. 1933), Russian poet. Quoted in Observer (London, December 15, 1991).
Comments about Yevgeny Yevtushenko
Tsars, Kings, Emperors,
sovereigns of all the earth,
have commanded many a parade,
but they could not command humor.
When Aesop, the tramp, came visiting
the palaces of eminent personages
ensconced in sleek comfort all day,
they struck him as paupers.
In houses, where hypocrites have
left the smear of their puny feet,
there Hodja-Nasr-ed-Din, with his jests,
swept clean all meanness
like a board of chessmen!
They tried to commission humor-
but humor is not to be bought!
They tried to murder humor,
but humor thumbed his nose at them! ...