Zbigniew Herbert Poems
- Mr. Cogito And The Imagination Mr. Cogito never ...
- Report From The Besieged City Too old to carry arms and fight...
- Pebble The pebble is a perfect creature equal to itself
- Architecture Over a delicate arch-- an eyebrow of ...
- The Envoy Of Mr Cogito Go where those others went to the dark...
- I Would Like To Describe I would like to describe the ...
- Home A home above the year's seasons home of children ...
a Polish poet, essayist, drama writer, author of plays, and moralist. A member of the Polish resistance movement, Home Army (AK), during World War II, he is one of the best known and the most translated post-war Polish writers. While he was first published in the 1950's (a volume titled String of light was issued in 1956), soon after he voluntarily ceased submitting most of his works to official Polish government publications. He resumed publication in the 1980's, initially in the underground press.
He was a distant relative of the 17th century poet George Herbert.
Herbert was educated as an economist and a lawyer. Herbert was one of the main poets of the Polish ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Zbigniew Herbert
Mr. Cogito And The Imagination
Mr. Cogito never trusted
tricks of the imagination
the piano at the top of the Alps
played false concerts for him
he didn't appreciate labyrinths
the Sphinx filled him with loathing
he lived in a house with no basement
without mirrors of dialectics
jungles of tangled images
were not his home
he would rarely soar
on the wings of metaphor
and then he fell like Icarus
into the embrace of the Great Mother
he adored tautologies
idem per idem
that a bird is a bird
slavery means slavery
a knife is a ...