Basho taught us the pond has no sound no refrain..
until violated by a frog, a stone, or fingers of the rain
As one honking horn disturbs hundreds of ears,
so one angry word shatters peace into pieces.
Dawn's breaking quiet begets bees' buzzing riot.
3 quiets merge.. the silent snowsift.. night's fall swift
and the stillness of the wilderness
God has said to revile none.. rather to revel as He
God as Love indwelling each reveals
The pain inflicting doctors who play at science
debark captive dogs so that they may hurt in silence.
Yogis sometimes roll up the red carpet of welcome, the speaking
Bright orange trumpet flowers grow like clapperless bells..
as saffron clad monks prefer silence
The boat leaves foam wake. The canoe, ripples. But geese
leave no trace as they fly.
Misogynists wish women to be tongueless belles, as silent
as the meadow's tongless bluebells
Saiom Shriver's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (09 Silence by Saiom Shriver )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Mitchell Gonzalez
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Police Car, Mitchell Gonzalez
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Tu & Io - You & I, Fabrizio Frosini
- You & I, Fabrizio Frosini
- My Little Bird, Alfred Oyori
- Regret, Damian Murphy
- Helpless reasonings, Howard MacDougall
- The first Flight, michael hagwood
- Fake, RJP Patterson
- Bee Bathes In Bliss, Saiom Shriver
- Merry Christmas, lee fones
- Searching For Convictions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak