1956 State Championship Reunion
Great victories in youth,
some of them remarkable,
are recorded in a scrapbook
lost for many years
only to emerge decades later
when age affords the leisure
to rustle through a dresser drawer
and find a scrapbook underneath
an ancient uniform, some jocks and socks.
Cheers from games spring off the page
as do tall teammates dead for years,
their jump shots perfect, their laughter loud.
This will be the last reunion,
he knows that for certain.
The scrapbook will become
a game of none on none.
A doctor told him yesterday
he's dribbling out the clock.
Donal Mahoney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (1956 State Championship Reunion by Donal Mahoney )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Death Be Not Proud, John Donne
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- Friendship, Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas