2nd Song For The Love Of My Life
dearest, O my new, new love -
will you grant me but 2 deviations?
for I will love truly and give everything unto you;
in all ways I'll be the man you want me to be
but in two - and grant those my only perversions, let them be:
First - allow me to drive all my life;
never take the wheel from me...
you see, my dad never allowed me to drive
and he threw me in the back seat
and never even told me where he'd bring me
and he'd dump me
in my nana's or in the shopping center
sometime for a week or two
and when I said Could I drive?
He'd say: You? you scum!
You're only 22!
So now when we settle down and build our own nest
you must really let me drive
really let me be the driver
and let me drive
never you take the wheel
you can sit like a Queen in the passenger seat
and I'll drive you wherever you want to
but Oh - promise, promise, never take the wheel from me...
And the 2nd deviation, before I forget...
I do have the habit
of digging my nose
whenever I'm happy
and so when I'm at the wheel
you can bet your last dollar
I'll be digging my nose
(the 2 go together)
so you must promise
to let me be
and let me dig my nose as I drive
for nothing makes me happier
so never, never
never ever rap on my knuckles
when I dig my nose
like my mum did with her steel ruler
whenever I put my fingers in my nose
O if you can promise me these 2
that you'll allow these 2 perversions
to be the normal rule in our love -
Oh, then I'll be the happiest man ever...
Now excuse me, while I dig my nose...
Raj Arumugam's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (2nd Song For The Love Of My Life by Raj Arumugam )
- गोजाननि खौरां, Ronjoy Brahma
- Let us believe, hasmukh amathalal
- Christmas Again, Katherine Nordhaus
- Money, Katherine Nordhaus
- Older, Frank Avon
- A question to seasons, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Languid leman, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Tweet-tweet! I Visited a Hamlet with a G.., Harindhar Reddy
- PURITY OF SNOW., Terry Collett
- What If You Had No Beliefs? NONE!, Mr. Nobody
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- On the Pulse of Morning, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)