Modern people need a single truth.
People wander searching for something to find.
I hear screams and cries at the church down the street.
I see haunting eyes of men and women at the bar-
Ordering another drink, hoping for phone numbers or unknown bedrooms.
I read it in the newspaper, in the magazines, see it flashed over and over on television screens.
At baseball games, the chant of the crowd:
They want to see the pitcher executed.
In a bookstore, waiting in line:
They want to find the book they have not written.
At a mall, ignoring each other:
Entranced by items everyone else owns.
At a crosswalk, waiting for a green light:
Permission granted, now cross.
In the wind, whistling through the palm trees:
Snuffed flame of lost paradise.
In his voice, the coffee shop:
Voice of an ancient never to achieve fame.
In these words, neverending:
Each keystroke an attempt to create the spaces between.
What is this thing we seek?
If I could speak it, I would be pure enlightenment, Buddha:
A smile that penetrates our distractions.
Spencer Breau's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (#87 by Spencer Breau )
- ABSENCE OF LOVE, Ali Faisal
- Black Friar, Naveed Khalid
- AOA▷오피뷰◁모든 구로오피 송파오피걸의 모든것 OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM, sibngnu5 sibngnu5
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ구로오피녀 ⓑ송파오피 대란∠OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, sibngnu5 sibngnu5
- She looked a million dollars, Erato
- L.Messi 오피뷰 구로오피 KTwiz 송파오피 OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., sibngnu5 sibngnu5
- From the Lives of My Friends, Michael Dickman
- WHENEVER A LIFE IS TAKEN, Ali Faisal
- VALUE OF LIFE, Ali Faisal
- For Some Slight I Can't Quite Recall, Ross Gay
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Samra, Said Akl
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Love's Philosophy, Percy Bysshe Shelley
- Bright Star, John Keats
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1886 - 1967)