Lovers learne to speake but truth,
Sweare not, and your oathes forgoe,
Give your age a constant youth,
Vow noe more then what you'le doe.
Thinke it sacriledge to breake
What you promise, shall in love
And in teares what you doe speake
Forget not, when the ends you prove.
Doe not thinke it glory is
To entice, and then deceive,
Your chiefe honors lye in this,
By worth what wonne is, not to leave.
'Tis not for your fame to try,
What we weake, not oft refuse,
In our bounty our faults lye,
When you to doe a fault will chuse.
Fye leave this, a greater gaine,
tis to keepe when you have won,
Then what purchas'd is with paine,
Soone after in all scorne to shun.
For if worthlesse to be priz'd,
Why at first will you it move?
And if worthy, why dispis'd?
You cannot sweare, and lie, and love.
Love alasse you cannot like,
Tis but for a fashion mov'd,
None can chuse, and then dislike,
Unlesse it be by faslhood prov'd.
But your choyce is, and your love.
How most number to deceive,
As if honors claime did move
Like Popish Lawe, none safe to leave.
Flye this folly, and returne
Unto truth in Love, and try,
None but Martir's happy burne,
More shamefull ends they have that lye.
Mary Wroth's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (94 by Mary Wroth )
- Clouds of brinkmanship, Oti Egwu
- Heroes, Nassy Fesharaki
- O1O→5959→1049 신규 대전오피, O1Oa5959a1049 O1Oa5959a1049
- 신세계 대전오피 010↔5959↔1049 대전서구오피, O1Oa5959a1049 O1Oa5959a1049
- The Empty Room, Maria Magdalena Biela
- Dream liner, Stephen Brian Brady
- peeping Tom, lee fones
- pension scheme, lee fones
- meri sohbat me........., sanjay kumar maurya
- Let me know, Cee Bea
Poem of the Day
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Alone, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)