Lovers learne to speake but truth,
Sweare not, and your oathes forgoe,
Give your age a constant youth,
Vow noe more then what you'le doe.
Thinke it sacriledge to breake
What you promise, shall in love
And in teares what you doe speake
Forget not, when the ends you prove.
Doe not thinke it glory is
To entice, and then deceive,
Your chiefe honors lye in this,
By worth what wonne is, not to leave.
'Tis not for your fame to try,
What we weake, not oft refuse,
In our bounty our faults lye,
When you to doe a fault will chuse.
Fye leave this, a greater gaine,
tis to keepe when you have won,
Then what purchas'd is with paine,
Soone after in all scorne to shun.
For if worthlesse to be priz'd,
Why at first will you it move?
And if worthy, why dispis'd?
You cannot sweare, and lie, and love.
Love alasse you cannot like,
Tis but for a fashion mov'd,
None can chuse, and then dislike,
Unlesse it be by faslhood prov'd.
But your choyce is, and your love.
How most number to deceive,
As if honors claime did move
Like Popish Lawe, none safe to leave.
Flye this folly, and returne
Unto truth in Love, and try,
None but Martir's happy burne,
More shamefull ends they have that lye.
Mary Wroth's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (94 by Mary Wroth )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(20 September 1902 – 7 March 1971)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Lover's Complaint, William Shakespeare
- The ship of the desert, gajanan mishra
- Bright Star, John Keats
Poem of the Day
- God, Save Me From Indian English Poets (.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Hollow Reed, Midnights Voice
- गोजां बोथोर - सोरबा नागिरदोँ गुदुं गुदुं, Ronjoy Brahma
- Rainfall, hafiz qasim
- Reading Elizabeth Bishop's Poem 'Insomnia', Merton Lee
- A language, a race, gajanan mishra
- Reality And Unimagination..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Smile, hafiz qasim
- Soldiers' Living Tomb, Ima Ryma
- Winter In The Wind, Tony Adah