A Barbie Doll's Life
If I could, would I opt for a Barbie doll’s life,
and be Ken’s perennially pert trophy wife
with more dresses and coats than I ever could use,
each outfit replete with its own pair of shoes?
With no wrinkles, no stretch marks, my hair never gray,
I’d have nothing to do but look pretty all day.
But if you got tired of my once charming pout,
and my left arm fell off, or my hair all came out,
no matter that you were the one who had caused it,
it’s I who’d get buried somewhere in the closet,
‘til you sold me through eBay on one of your whims,
and bought a new doll with more flexible limbs.
She’d get all my shoes, and the speedy blue roadster,
the Dream House, the dog and the little pink toaster.
I’d do well to escape in the state I’d been tossed,
some duct tape to hold on the parts that I’d lost.
‘Though prospects for used Barbie dolls aren’t fantastic,
maybe I’d care less, if my heart were plastic.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Barbie Doll's Life by Kim Thomas )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- the poet
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Television, Roald Dahl
- XVII (I do not love you...), Pablo Neruda
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
Poem of the Day
- Happy New Year, Kela LewisMorin
- 01 - A Little Talk, George Hunter
- Belief, Kela LewisMorin
- Tum Aate To, Akhtar Jawad
- Dark Crevices, Kela LewisMorin
- I Submit, Vera Sidhwa
- Nadine, David Lewis Paget
- Experiencing Humiliation, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Woes Of The World, Kela LewisMorin
- my favorite painter is the sky, Bull Hawking