@ A Bird’s Lament
The days pass by
And nights overrun,
I shifted from
A prison’s closet
Finding another awaited.
Canopy of chestnut,
My books eaten up
By moths and dust.
I look up to the windows,
A brewing life
Gazing below into the darkness.
A woman is cooking
A man is going upstairs.
Is in the offing.
Lit the imagination’s corner
Yet another Corner in waiting.
What the brown eyes
You are on a slow assault,
Hath anyone but conquered
I shall give up
But what else onwards.
Lo! A bird’s lament
Is a morn’s welcome.
-On my shifting from one apartment to another.
Sadiqullah Khan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Art by Zahoor Ul Akhlak (1941-1999)
Comments about this poem (@ A Bird’s Lament by Sadiqullah Khan )
- War And Not To Love, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- ISRO's MOM in Mars - Congrats to Indian .., Dr John Celes
- Free on the Breeze, Thomas Plotz
- Gather strength, hasmukh amathalal
- INDIA! INDIA!, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Morning, Sara Hopkins
- My India (Hindi) भारत अपना, S.D. TIWARI
- from 'The Double' VIII, Morgan Michaels
- MY DOLL, Ritusmera Mundakkal
- Hope and promises, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)