@ A Bird’s Lament
The days pass by
And nights overrun,
I shifted from
A prison’s closet
Finding another awaited.
Canopy of chestnut,
My books eaten up
By moths and dust.
I look up to the windows,
A brewing life
Gazing below into the darkness.
A woman is cooking
A man is going upstairs.
Is in the offing.
Lit the imagination’s corner
Yet another Corner in waiting.
What the brown eyes
You are on a slow assault,
Hath anyone but conquered
I shall give up
But what else onwards.
Lo! A bird’s lament
Is a morn’s welcome.
-On my shifting from one apartment to another.
Sadiqullah Khan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Art by Zahoor Ul Akhlak (1941-1999)
Comments about this poem (@ A Bird’s Lament by Sadiqullah Khan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Roses Are Red Violets Are Blue, Jennifer Alejandra
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- The Freedom I Seek, Douglas ClearyMaxwell
- Stages of life, gajanan mishra
- Remmbering Guernica, John F. McCullagh
- Value, Carolyn Blackmon
- Tagore Song (#9) My freedom exist in da.., Tushar Ray
- What is Courage, Lewis Antonuk
- Full Attention, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Acknowledge What Love has to do with US, michael walkerjohn
- That Thing, Luo Zhihai
- The Polar Star, Tushar Ray