A Birth-Night Song
The Child is rocked on Mary's knee,
Cold in the stall this bitter night,
And 'Lullalay-loo,' soft singeth she,
'My little Boy and Heaven's Delight!'
When singing stars went up the sky
The Prince of Peace oped a sweet eye.
His Highness now how small He lies!
He to be God and Very God!
A Jacob's ladder spans the skies
Whereof each rung is angel-trod,
And all their carols are of Peace,
Though the sick world hath little ease.
Come in, poor war-worn folk, and rest;
Kneel where the sinless creatures kneel;
The Babe snugged warm in Mother's breast,
He is your Wound-Wort, your All-Heal
Balsam for hurts that throb and smart,
Small Rose of Love on Mary's heart.
Shut close within His hand so small
The sick heart's medicine; not a sword.
Come in, come in, sad people all,
Here is your ancient peace restored!
'Lullalay-loo,' sings Mary mild,
Kissing her God, her Lamb, her Child.
Katharine Tynan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Birth-Night Song by Katharine Tynan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Bijay Kant Dubey
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Indian Babas And Their Sex Scandals, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Pickled with fate and time, Aftab Alam
- A Preface to My Autobiography, Valsa George
- Haiku - Life, chandra thiagarajan
- An educational song., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Not permanent, hasmukh amathalal
- UNKNOWN, Fatima Obaid
- My Fight, Rusty (Ed) Gibson
- Remembering Poem, Kyle Schlicher
- In HIm Alone, david kush
- Irony of the world., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..