A Birthday Wish
Oh, could I as I lift this pen
Mark out thy destiny,
I would have thee happy now as when
Nurs'd at thy mother's knee.
I would have thee cherish'd, free from harm
On this eventful morn,
Bless'd and content, with brow as calm
As the hour that thou wer't born.
On a peaceful pillow thou wouldst sleep,
Thy dreams should pleasant be ;
Would God, I had the power to keep
Thy heart from sorrow free.
The flowers of hope thy path would strew,Fix this text
To walk in manly pride ;
All hearts around thee firm and true,
Great good should thee betide.
I've not the power, alas, dear friend
To give thee all I say,
But hope they'll please, the lines I send
Thee, on thy natal day.
Louisa Lawson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Birthday Wish by Louisa Lawson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- आंनि लोगोफ्रा आंनि खोथाखौ बुजिया, Ronjoy Brahma
- Peace in the air, Vidura Prabhath
- Odia Poem- To Apekshyare mu, Jitendra seth
- आंनि बोरै गोरोन्थि जाखो, Ronjoy Brahma
- Odia Poem- JHADA, Jitendra seth
- Gratitude, Mallika Achuthan Menon
- My Thoughts, Michael P. McParland
- Impact of snow climate., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- My limbs, gajanan mishra
- PARUI POLICE BRUTALITY, Bireswar Halder