William K Duncan
A Bottle Away
Every girl's a bottle away
Every girl never does what they say
The lies forgotten
The cheating dismissed
She won't even remember when he raised his fist
Police to remove him,
but now she knocks on his door!
She had enough,
but now she's back for more
From her statement,
to a smile
What's now past,
not even a while
Her only worry,
what will THEY say,
what will THEY think?
But where were THEY,
when she was at the brink?
2 strikes,3... maybe 4
Yet everything still the same as before
Whether she cries wolf now is anyones guess
As the people who care become less...
All her talk and complaining,
burning bridges, straining friendships...
But whether good or bad,
it's always his name on her lips
Love and hate are both thoughts that consume the heart
Switching from one to the other isn't wise and not smart
What's true and what's false isn't told, it's shown
But she'll never see it for fear of being alone
And when it's all over for the last time...
She's turn to her last hope...
and last friend
And as she cries alone in shame after yet another pathetic display
She sits with her friend,
and drinks through the day
Because every girl's a bottle away
And every girl never does what they say.
William K Duncan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Bottle Away by William K Duncan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- Mending Wall, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Atonement, maria sudibyo
- Paper Cut, maria sudibyo
- Unfinished Poem, maria sudibyo
- I Want A Foreigner Girl For Me, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Blackberries / Briars, Frank Avon
- Daru Pikar Naya Varsha Shuru Karne Ka Er.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- It Is Time, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mother's Love, Father's Love, Sister's L.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- 52, Frank Avon
- Treasure, M.J. Lemon