A Call To The Soiree Of The Mechanic's Institute
Come, friends, to the Soiree; O why will you tarry
When good things are waiting you there?
For, after the eating, our friends, for this, meeting
Have speeches prepared with due care.
Let all upper classes give ladies cash passes,
'Twill cost but a very small price;
And what they may spend in a way that will end in
Real good, is a blow unto vice.
Come, merchants and doctors; come lawyers and proctors,
And treat all your clerks to the feast.
Fear not that your kindness will make them more mindless
Of what is your interest, the least.
Come, all ye mechanics, for no dreadful panics
Will meet you with grim spectre-faces.
Bring also your spouses, nor leave in your houses
Those charmers who wear childhood's graces.
Come, each son of labor, and do us the favor
Of tasting the good things provided.
A truce to your moiling! for hard daily toiling
Gives Rank that must ne'er be derided.
Haste all to the Soiree; none need to be sorry
For giving our Institute aid.
The good you may do us'll diffuse itself through us
To the townsfolks of every grade.
Thomas Cowherd's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Call To The Soiree Of The Mechanic's Institute by Thomas Cowherd )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Home They Brought Her Warrior Dead, Alfred Lord Tennyson
Poem of the Day
- Touch Downs, Saiom Shriver
- Bethlehem, Saiom Shriver
- Beloved Brand, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- The Shadow, Benjamin Michael Clark
- Under The Moonlit Nights, I See You, See.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- have you seen my hand?, Mandolyn ...
- My Inspiration Are You, The Day I Saw You, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Azar, Nassy Fesharaki
- Ohio State, Saiom Shriver
- crowding around the crumbs you leave, Mandolyn ...