A Chance Sighting
I am just your average rhymer and I pen doggerel
And I never did speak to Poesy though poets know her well
Once I did see her briefly that memory with me stay
The sunlit Summer meadow scented sweetly of new mown hay.
She ran along the headland beside the leafy wood
Perhaps some thirty metres or less from where I stood
In her ankle length green dress of Summer a Goddess in bare feet
She glanced my way just briefly though me she did not greet.
Her wavy shoulder length nut brown hair, her lovely eyes of green
The most beautiful woman that I had ever seen
She did not stop or tarry she disappeared from sight
Where butterflies were flitting in the bright and warm sunlight.
Green Mother Nature's daughter she is the poets Goddess
I saw her only briefly in her green flowery dress
The poets seem to know her well she speaks to them each day
She is their inspiration and their respects to her they pay.
It was just a chance sighting I was one of the lucky few
To see the Goddess Poesy though she quickly faded from view
I saw her for one minute and never more again
And the memory of her beauty till death with me will remain.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Chance Sighting by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- Shiva Neelakanta, Saiom Shriver
- Dawn, Suresh Dogra
- On white page, hasmukh amathalal
- Intoxication-An alcoholic reverie, RAJ VIKRAM
- It is really love, gajanan mishra
- Clearing Out the Closet: Five Poems Wri.., Lawrence Beck
- Rainy Day, Dorsey Baker
- I Am Free!, Anna Colb
- food walk, lee fones
- The Now., RAJ VIKRAM
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)