A Dream Of Damnation
St Peter spoke he said to me ah well
So you are one of those who wrote all doggerel
Old Satan is tolling damnation's bell
You take the road downhill it leads to hell.
In life like everyone you made your choice
And for writing doggerel there is a price
A price you did not think you'd have to pay
Had you not reckoned on a judgement day? .
The judgement of Peter I did protest
I said in life I did my very best
He said in life you aimed to be a poet
But doggerel is all you only wrote.
In heaven there are poetesses and poets
And writers and sculptors and artists of note
And from all of the doggerels in life you've wrote
I cannot find one memorable quote.
With staff and long black cloak and long white beard and hair
Old Peter sat on his high judgement chair
He said only the good these gates pass through
There is no place in Paradise for you.
The price you pay for penning doggerel
To burn forever in the flames of hell
From heaven's gate I must turn you away
Goodbye he said it's time for me to pray.
I awoke as dawn was brightening up the sky
And the kookaburra called on trees nearby
And I thanked the powers that be it was a dream
Though real enough to me it all did seem.
St Peter said I cannot leave you through
There is no place in Paradise for you
From all of the doggerels in life you've wrote
I could not find one memorable quote.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Dream Of Damnation by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- Cambridge -Seat of Learning., Geoffrey Fafard
- Disharmony......, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Time Is Not Staying In Place, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- If Not Homespun, Scott J. Shepard
- Gifts, Scott J. Shepard
- Courage, Scott J. Shepard
- For Those Who Starve, Scott J. Shepard
- Gorgeous Girls, Scott J. Shepard
- Your Wet Eyelashes, Eyelids, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Minor Keys, Scott J. Shepard
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Love In The Guise Of Friendship, Robert Burns
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)