Patrick Edward Quinn
A Girl's Grave
"Aged 17, OF A BROKEN HEART, January 1st, 1841."
What story is here of broken love,
What idyllic sad romance,
What arrow fretted the silken dove
That met with such grim mischance?
I picture you, sleeper of long ago,
When you trifled and danced and smiled,
All golden laughter and beauty's glow
In a girl life sweet and wild.
Hair with the red gold's luring tinge,
Fine as the finest silk,
Violet eyes with a golden fringe
And cheeks of roses and milk.
Something of this you must have been,
Something gentle and sweet,
To have broken your heart at seventeen
And died in such sad defeat.
Hardly one of your kinsfolk live,
It was all so long ago,
The tale of the cruel love to give
That laid you here so low.
Loving, trusting, and foully paid --
The story is easily guessed,
A blotted sun and skies that fade
And this grass-grown grave the rest.
Whatever the cynic may sourly say,
With a dash of truth, I ween,
Of the girls of the period, in your day
They had hearts at seventeen.
Dead of a fashion out of date,
Such folly has passed away
Like the hoop and patch and modish gait
That went out with an older day.
The stone is battered and all awry,
The words can be scarcely read,
The rank reeds clustering thick and high
Over your buried head.
I pluck one straight as a Paynim's lance
To keep your memory green,
For the lordly sake of old Romance
And your own, sad seventeen.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Girl's Grave by Patrick Edward Quinn )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(21 July 1899 - 2 July 1961)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- My Classroom, shivani pillai
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Remember, Christina Georgina Rossetti
Poem of the Day
- Youth is remembered, hasmukh amathalal
- Fidelity, RAJ VIKRAM
- आलम दुसरा था.aalam dusraa thaa, hasmukh amathalal
- Fabrication of Success, Breanni McDuffey
- No base, hasmukh amathalal
- Fighting fire with fire, Leong Ming Loong
- To go down, hasmukh amathalal
- A Horror Memory, Nash Thomas
- In new world, hasmukh amathalal
- My Mother's Advice, Sari Mavi