A Granny without an apron
Her door is always open
and everybody is welcome
for a chat or a cup of tea,
there is splendour in her appearance
and her hair is always pinned up in a tidy bun.
She is one of those
from a gone-by era
and on her Victorian lounge suite
she will serve you tea
in her Royal-Albert tea set.
In her company
you are always in good conversation
and she is keen to listen
to everybody’s story.
She is proud to show you
the pictures on the wall,
to introduce you to every one of them
and it’s almost unbelievable
to realize that she is ninety-six years old.
In her day she was quite an actress
and had a few parts to play
on the local stage
and her heritage will live on
long after she is gone.
The fragrance that surrounds her
is profound and she smells
like spring and lavender
and around her neck
there is always a colourful scarf.
She always acts somewhat mischievous
and her eyes sparkle
and her laughter is contagious.
She is a friend to many people
and like a tin of sardines
there is always space for one more.
Her house does not have a garden
and around her waist
there is no apron
as she a grandma
that takes care of the hearts.
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Granny without an apron by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- All through eternity, Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- Life musings., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Record, Holy Man
- observing shells on your shore, Mandolyn ...
- Fly, Holy Man
- Happy I go Unhappy I Go, Akhtar Jawad
- Magical Glass of Water, Vera Sidhwa
- Timeless Ticking, Justin Sisson
- With terror, hasmukh amathalal
- Stars, Justin Sisson
- A Woman Strong, Justin Sisson