' Turn the Bunsen
Up a little higher,
Move the tube
Just a little lower. '
' There? '
' Yes. Good!
Now, gently sway it
Through the flame -
But not too quickly! '
' Add another drop
Of this solution? '
' Yes. '
' We should have it
any second now. '
' We should. '
' See, it’s clouding! '
The mass precipitates.
Not too hot!
Christ, watch that flame! '
' Don't let that bubble! '
ZAPOP! ! !
'Turn off the gas.
The garbage chute is there -
Beneath the crucifix! '
© M. Barrett – all rights reserved
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Lesson by Mike Barrett )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Poem of the Day
- alphabet you two bucks you drive a truck, Mandolyn ...
- Open the floodgate.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- A Dream Of Death,, Luo Zhihai
- Feeling Your Spirit, Michael P. McParland
- Word, Birgitta Heikka
- Ganjaraja And His Associates/Ganjaraja W.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Royal Presidio Chapel, Monterey California, Steven Federle
- the apple of my I, Prophmatt . . .
- And Then There Was Love, Sandra Feldman
- Sigh, Erwick Brandon