A Life In The Day
A Life In The Day
Up before the pride sets in, darkness crawls and twists,
devils of the mind erupt, bind you by the wrists.
Feed them in the dead of night, watch the road, for life,
hum a song you’ve never heard, yet craft it with a knife.
Speak them human, bow their space, treat as crown and King,
multiply each passing fear, then let the mountains sing.
Try to keep what’s sane pretence, locked within your head,
argue sanity’s not real, fight for living’s thread.
Count those numbers, four, three, two, once upon a time,
Cinderella to the ball, staking out her crime,
all this place for fairy tales, whipped behind, back then,
wonder what inspires you now, cats and wine, not men.
Victim for a daytime scam, smile and wait and smile,
not quite sure the tanner’s dropped, on a crooked stile.
Normality is packed away, boxed inside the trap,
write what’s left of yesterday, somewhere on a scrap.
Losing to a silent thief, with no jesters bell,
beggaring won’t bring belief, ring the chimes for hell,
stroll out for a respite shop, drag some real world home,
teatime from a plastic bag, bolt, indoors alone.
Struggle keeping smart and neat, lost behind a mask,
placed there by a comic gene, laughing till the last,
tears spill out, dementia snarls, to wear your coat of pain,
it’s hard to be an angel, when you’re soaking through with rain.
Jerry Pike's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Life In The Day by Jerry Pike )
- Scattered dreams, gajanan mishra
- The Glow on the Outback Hill, David Lewis Paget
- God's Kind of Poetry, Diane Hine
- Whole world enjoys with this pain,, Aftab Alam
- Epitaph, Naveed Khalid
- By The Corner, Abby Bilan
- COPLA 109 RESOLUTION: This Bad Guy World, T (no first name) Wignesan
- Poet as a life(SLIM JAY), Prince Lartey
- Know the meaning of life, gajanan mishra
- Oracle, Naveed Khalid
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)