George William Russell
A New World
I WHO had sought afar from earth
The faery land to meet,
Now find content within its girth
And wonder nigh my feet.
To-day a nearer love I choose
And seek no distant sphere;
For aureoled by faery dews
The dear brown breasts appear.
With rainbow radiance come and go
The airy breaths of day;
And eve is all a pearly glow
With moonlit winds a-play.
The lips of twilight burn my brow,
The arms of night caress:
Glimmer her white eyes drooping now
With grave old tenderness.
I close mine eyes from dream to be
The diamond-rayed again,
As in the ancient hours ere we
Forgot ourselves to men.
And all I thought of heaven before
I find in earth below:
A sunlight in the hidden core
To dim the noonday glow.
And with the earth my heart is glad,
I move as one of old;
With mists of silver I am clad
And bright with burning gold.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A New World by George William Russell )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edward Kofi Louis
(13th October 1961)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Tiger, William Blake
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- "Why do I love" You, Sir?, Emily Dickinson
- A Moments Indulgence, Rabindranath Tagore
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- The Zulu King, Margaret Alice Second
- I Love Life, Alfred Oyori
- Silence, ashi singh
- Tales Of A Wife: Gillie, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- My Conscience Leads Me On, Tony Adah
- Just To Encourage You To Hold On, Edward Kofi Louis
- I Will Seek For You, Edward Kofi Louis
- Under The Apple Tree, Edward Kofi Louis
- Spiced Wine, Edward Kofi Louis
- Innocent Wishes, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan