A Parody On The Laureat's Ode
Wrapt in stole of sable grain,
With Fogs and DULLNESS in my train,
Which damp my voice, and shade my brows,
Behold an Ode — which Genius disavows!
Mark! — 'tis not my last farewell—
Every line in Dunciad's knell!
Fog and gloom shall load my mind,
So oft' by sons of Genius taught
To seek its present weight confin'd,
And to Night's goddess mark the leaden thought!
Odes like mine shall never live!
DULLNESS has no soul, and therefore can't revive.
WHITEHEAD, by George's most indulgent care
Is fix'd the leaden Laureat of the day;
Far from the classick, Heliconian air,
Where Wit and Genius dance the sprightly bay;
Where teeming Genius apes his genial powers;
Where Learning blooms, but not with look severe;
With dull importance big,
With all the majesty of wig,
Who reads by dull compulsion certain hours.
O Parnassus — Aganippe,
Let poor Billy have a sippy,
Let Kitty Clio bring the Bard a cup,
To keep his place — and keep his nonsense up!
Christopher Anstey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Parody On The Laureat's Ode by Christopher Anstey )
- Religion's Devils, Naveed Akram
- My Son Ali, kassem oude
- Hit Music, Michael McParland
- Mind, Soul and Spirit, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Drivers lessons, Harold R Hunt Sr
- I love you, Harold R Hunt Sr
- love, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Under the stairs., Harold R Hunt Sr
- On my shoulder, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Out of the mouth of babies., Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898)