A Penny for your Thoughts
I’m not good at reading silence.
Sometimes what’s not said
says way more than what is...
I almost don’t want to know.
I’m afraid it’ll be hurtful,
but it’s something I need to hear.
How about a penny
for your thoughts?
Would five or six cents
spare me lies?
Do two nickels
sweeten the pot,
or perhaps three dimes
for two or three honest thoughts?
Okay, just one then.
I’ll even up it to a dollar
for one clear, loving thought,
that’s all I want
… it’s all I need,
but it has to be the truth.
I would never tell you this,
but you could have me
and everything I own
if, just for once,
you told me the truth.
C.J. Heck's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Penny for your Thoughts by C.J. Heck )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- My Little Bird, Alfred Oyori
- Regret, Damian Murphy
- Helpless reasonings, Howard MacDougall
- The first Flight, michael hagwood
- Fake, RJP Patterson
- Bee Bathes In Bliss, Saiom Shriver
- Merry Christmas, lee fones
- Searching For Convictions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Strong Enough, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Past Woes, Naveed Akram