A Quiet Man
I am known to most as a quiet man
because I don’t talk a lot.
I am quiet wherever I go,
friends will testify to that.
I am very quiet spoken
and many times I’ve been told
to speak up a little louder.
I am afraid it’s just the way I am.
I’ve never been a shouter,
nor am I a screamer.
I am a placid person
who does not like arguments.
I’d rather walk away
to avoid any confrontation.
I like to sit alone at times
and not be one of the crowd.
I am not anti-social
as I like people
of all backgrounds and races
and will readily talk to everyone.
I’ve known some to be jealous of me
because of who I am,
even try to turn people against me
with lies and innuendos.
I have always forgiven them,
which they cannot fully understand.
I cannot say I am perfect
as no human being ever is.
What I can say is I’m quiet
who holds out his hands in friendship
for anyone to take hold
knowing I’ll always be there.
David Harris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Quiet Man by David Harris )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- January’s Sad Refrain, Teresa Dearing
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Spring in the Holy Land, Nero CaroZiv
- A Man Of Different Charectarestics, Musa Ndhlovu
- Ever Hike in Hope, Pintu Mahakul
- The Past, Eugene Latumbo
- Lovely Hand, Pintu Mahakul
- There you are, Cee Bea
- Memories:, Gaurav Pandey
- Loneliness, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Christmas Tree, Zoila T. Flores
- I Did Not Ask Him, But Said He, I Am A M.., Bijay Kant Dubey