A Quiet Man
I am known to most as a quiet man
because I don’t talk a lot.
I am quiet wherever I go,
friends will testify to that.
I am very quiet spoken
and many times I’ve been told
to speak up a little louder.
I am afraid it’s just the way I am.
I’ve never been a shouter,
nor am I a screamer.
I am a placid person
who does not like arguments.
I’d rather walk away
to avoid any confrontation.
I like to sit alone at times
and not be one of the crowd.
I am not anti-social
as I like people
of all backgrounds and races
and will readily talk to everyone.
I’ve known some to be jealous of me
because of who I am,
even try to turn people against me
with lies and innuendos.
I have always forgiven them,
which they cannot fully understand.
I cannot say I am perfect
as no human being ever is.
What I can say is I’m quiet
who holds out his hands in friendship
for anyone to take hold
knowing I’ll always be there.
David Harris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Quiet Man by David Harris )
- A thight rope, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- Snake charmers in villages., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Frog in the Well, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- जिउनि, Ronjoy Brahma
- Prolixity., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- The Chance, Michael McParland
- Going Home, Douglas McClarty
- I AM THE DRAGON, Philo Yan
- Let us welcome, hasmukh amathalal
- First In My Life, Latha Krishnan
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Character, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)