A Reminder from Abraham Lincoln
A Reminder from Abraham Lincoln - From the speech made upon proclaiming a National Fast Day (30 March 1863)
We have been the recipients of the choicest bounties of Heaven.
These many years, peace and prosperity from the hand of God, given.
We have grown in numbers, wealth and power; our lands are long and broad.
As no other nation, have we been blessed… but we have forgotten God.
We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace,
which enriched and strengthened us and made our number’s increase.
We have vainly imagined that all these blessings, in the deceitfulness of our heart,
were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own part
Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient
to feel the necessity of His grace which is redeeming, preserving, and beneficent
Too proud to pray to the God that made us!
Too proud to pray the words: 'Jesus, Save Us'
A fitting reminder to people such as Barak Obama who stated 'the federal government is the only entity left with the resources to jolt our economy back to life. It is only government that can break the vicious cycle where lost jobs lead to people spending less money which leads to even more layoffs.'
A fitting reminder to the man behind the bill which would prevent any religious clubs from meeting on campuses that took money from the government - even schools founded by Christians and for Christians.
The 'audacity' of this Obamanation of Desolation is stunning.
(Rendered as poetry by DPartlow)
Daniel Partlow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Reminder from Abraham Lincoln by Daniel Partlow )
- Decrepit, Adam Ruudiina
- NEELA NATH Opulent Poetess Extraordinair.., Mr. Nobody Nothing
- Not with tears, hasmukh amathalal
- Laziness, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Dreams or Dust?, Adam Ruudiina
- Shut up for good, gajanan mishra
- The Enemy, Jose Orozco
- आथिखाल, Ronjoy Brahma
- Life is Nothing but Texture~, Mr. Nobody Nothing
- How Is Your Life In The Matrix?, Mr. Nobody Nothing
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 March 1926 – 25 July 1966)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)