! ! ! A Slice of Moon
The flying squirrel
Leaps down the leaves
When the moon the peeps
Through the woods
And moves towards the jungle pond
To drink from the moony dish.
A torrent of leaves in a moment
Spreads a carpet on the grass;
The tall tree all red bright leaves
The benign shelterer.
The wild jasmine, the moon’s daughter
In full smile winks at her lover
But he hesitant and shy whisks away
Humming as if it isn’t the time.
Pachyderms, crackling, come to drink
And play their trunks to pick up the dish
Upset when the luster floats up and down
And the owl hoots: oh, ridiculous!
The listless rabbit is patient now
Scratching his back and sniffing the dusk
And watching the lusty moon play hide and seek
Thinks of fearless eating and mating.
And then suddenly, a thousand lamps above the leaves
Lit the forest.
The moon, humbled and shy, puts a black scarf round her face
But yet shows her marvelous curve.
Raveendran N.V.'s Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (! ! ! A Slice of Moon by Raveendran N.V. )
- Mourn the Mastodon, G. E. Gorfu
- The Phoenix, G. E. Gorfu
- What Shall I Serve You?, Valsa George
- Be Steady, Be Ready, Cindy Wyatt
- The Chasm, G. E. Gorfu
- I am born on the land, ramesh rai
- John Ashbery: Some Personal Reflections, Ron Price
- meet my new jabberwocky, Mandolyn ...
- 3: 41, Adam Groszeibl
- Filtrate, Akhtar Jawad
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)