A Song : The Sparkling Eye
The sparkling eye, the mantling cheek,
The polished front, the snowy neck,
How seldom we behold in one!
Glossy locks, and brow serene,
Venus' smiles, Diana's mien,
All meet in you, and you alone.
Beauty, like other powers, maintains
Her empire, and by union reigns;
Each single feature faintly warms:
But where at once we view displayed
Unblemished grace, the perfect maid
Our eyes, our ears, our heart alarms.
So when on earth the god of day
Obliquely sheds his tempered ray,
Through convex orbs the beams transmit,
The beams that gently warmed before,
Collected, gently warm no more,
But glow with more prevailing heat.
William Cowper's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Song : The Sparkling Eye by William Cowper )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- I had a dream we were back together again, ernestine howqard
- Kisses, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Heather Burns, Abdullah alHemaidy
- IT IS OUR TRADITION, john chizoba vincent
- Pink Pyjama Party?, Stephen Katona
- SIMPLY SELFLESS, PRINCESS LISA APARAMA
- don't make me turn these stars around, Mandolyn Davidson
- Dumb Them Down Stupid People I Can't Think, Is It Poetry
- one hundred and shut up degrees, Mandolyn Davidson
- Magnifico, Gaylord Munemo