A True Story l
At a quarter past the hour there came a knock at the door-
it was Giorgio, late as usual.
'Giorgio, you're late', I yelled from my chair.
I knew it was him. He had a very personal knock.
Besides, I was expecting him.
It was getting dark. That's not true-it was dark already.
Traffic on the Avenue was jammed. Horns were wailing.
Head lights, street lights, on, on.
What excuse would he give this time?
Giorgio was what we called a 'space cadet',
come from what you might well call 'generation text',
as any my age would readily agree.
Brooklyn-born and bred, his name despite,
Giorgio was ultra-likeable, if distractible,
but I was unprepared for what came next.
'Doc, there was this fascinating show on TV-
I mean FAS-cinating. I couldn't stop watching.'
'Oh', I said, without much interest,
irked to be undone by a re-run.
'It was called 'Grimm's Stories'. On channel 31
There's lots. Have you heard of them? '
'uh-huh, I replied, looking at my notes,
I think I've heard of the Grimm's things-
somewhere along the line.'
'Well, this one was about a little old guy with a long beard.
Him and this chick made a deal.
He'd do all her work for free
if she could guess his name.
And she did! '
'Sure, ' I said, sitting back,
'I remember that one.
-So one night...
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A True Story l by Morgan Michaels )
- The Past, Cyprian Kamil Norwid
- My Country, Cyprian Kamil Norwid
- Birds Singing, Peter S. Quinn
- Days will not be the same, forget not, Aftab Alam
- Beauty, Cyprian Kamil Norwid
- Si, Oilibheir Alain Christie
- New Aryan Bird of Prey, Marieta Maglas
- grim reaper, lee fones
- Against Inordinate Love Of Creautes, John Beaumont
- Helping a Blind Lady, Donal Mahoney
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- 45 Mercy Street, Anne Sexton
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)