As a plan of defence and to reply enemy's attacks
On grenadier's positions, being repeatedly made,
He occupied a vital area in the new defence plan,
A firm hold on that place was essential to sustain.
Serious threat developed, as the enemy attacked
With regiment of tanks, intense artillery preceded;
Shelling so heavily that shells littered every yard,
In defence positions, foe's tanks penetrated forward.
Hamid, commanding a recoilless gun detachment
Seeing gravity, moved to stop the tank regiment
In gun mounted jeep disregarding personal safety,
Taking his position he knocked out a tank of enemy.
Intense enemy shelling and tank fire couldn't deter
His sustained act of bravery knocked out an other;
One by one he knocked out six with accurate fire,
Then changed his position for seventh, with dare.
By this time, enemy had spotted his position,
On him brought down concentrated machine gun.
The intense and continued fire put him in trouble
A war was continued between steel made and muscle
He fought, as not the tanks, he was made of steel
Kept on firing, with his courage and patriotic feel.
As he fired to destroy the seventh tank of enemy,
Wounded by a high explosive shell, mortally;
His bravery and steel like determination, destroyed
Six plus one tank, which took The Hero too, along
Defended his mother land with strong determination
And lived for ever, in hearts of people of his nation.
(C) S D Tiwari
S.D. TIWARI's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Abdul Hameed by S.D. TIWARI )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Winter Night, Robert Burns
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- My Country, Dorothea Mackeller
- A Fond Kiss, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- I Do Love, michael walkerjohn
- My Pretty Baby, Vera Sidhwa
- Christmas Holiday Guest, louis rams
- Pretty Baby, Vera Sidhwa
- I Thought of You Today, Vera Sidhwa
- I Love You Kira 5, Michael P. McParland
- "JU kwa JUU", michael walkerjohn
- Blood that killed two, Norman Jin Shyr Wang
- fade away, Maya Hanson (mye3)
- Come Two Three, michael walkerjohn