Ella Wheeler Wilcox
One night Nurse Sleep held out her hand
To tired little May.
'Come, go with me to Wonderland,'
She said, 'I know the way.
And lo! we come
To the place where the dream-girls play.'
But naughty May, she wriggled away
From Sleep's soft arms, and said:
'I must stay awake till I eat my cake,
And then I will go to bed;
With a by-lo, away I will go.'
But the good nurse shook her head.
She shook her head and away she sped,
While May sat munching her crumb.
But after the cake there came an ache,
Though May cried: 'Come, Sleep, come,
And it's oh! my! let us by-lo-by'-
All save the echoes were dumb.
She ran after Sleep toward Wonderland,
Ran till the morning light;
And just as she caught her and grasped her hand,
A nightmare gave her a fright.
And it's by-lo, I hope she'll know
Better another night.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (About May by Ella Wheeler Wilcox )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(13 January 1957)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Naomi Shihab Nye
(12 March 1952)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- What Does It Matter, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Villanelle: Wander not into a land where.., T (no first name) Wignesan
- He Has Always Been Inside Us, Merton Lee
- Rock Hard Passion, Michael P. McParland
- Right Now, Michael P. McParland
- Love will find me, Lilly Emerson Brayfield
- Rest Your Head (On My Chest), Michael P. McParland
- Rest Your Head, Michael P. McParland
- Behind Closed Doors Once Again, Electric Lady
- Haiku After Sunrise, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes