Afflictions Sanctified by the Word
Oh how I love Thy holy Word,
Thy gracious covenant, O Lord!
It guides me in the peaceful way;
I think upon it all the day.
What are the mines of shining wealth,
The strength of youth, the bloom of health!
What are all joys compared with those
Thine everlasting Word bestows!
Long unafflicted, undismay'd,
In pleasure's path secure I stray'd;
Thou mad'st me feel thy chast'ning rod,
And straight I turned unto my God.
What though it pierced my fainting heart,
I bless'd Thine hand that caused the smart:
It taught my tears awhile to flow,
But saved me from eternal woe.
Oh! hadst Thou left me unchastised,
Thy precepts I had still despised;
And still the snare in secret laid
Had my unwary feet betray'd.
I love Thee, therefore, O my God,
And breathe towards Thy dear abode;
Where, in Thy presence fully blest,
Thy chosen saints for ever rest.
William Cowper's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Afflictions Sanctified by the Word by William Cowper )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- I Will Bathe My Dreams, Kyle Schlicher
- For what is my purpose?, The Princess
- Mother. Mother., beresford mitchell
- In the waiting room, Anna Garland
- THEY CAN NOT KILL THEIR WILL لايقدرون عل.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Haiku And Fruit, Kyle Schlicher
- Short Circuited To Ignite, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- waiting for Autumn, Frederick J.B. Moore II
- In Gratitude, Sandra Feldman
- My life, Abekah Emmanuel