Diana van den Berg
and spirit of the good!
O, world, drowning in self,
and do likewise
- with a smile
- or a life.
All of us
rich or poor
and, most of all, can.
All we need
is a heart,
and a compass.
The choice is yours and mine
with every breath
with or without gratitude.
Come, world, let us take hands,
Let us bask in our blessings
and invest them
in a world
worthy of our children.
Let us build a ship together
and call it World Mercy
and steer it towards
(25 May 2007)
Diana van den Berg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
'Masakhani' is a Zulu word that means “Let us build together” and it is pronounced more or less Muss-a-car-ni – with the “car” pronounced as a very open sound as an Australian would.
Comments about this poem (Africa Mercy by Diana van den Berg )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- The Heart Of A Poet, arshad arshad
- Have You Seen The Bizarre And Grotesque .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Know Like Flowing Water, Naveed Akram
- Elvis Presley, lee fones
- Catching fish, gajanan mishra
- How Do They Play The Wooden 'Been' Instr.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Dogs' country, Daisy Pereira
- Pestle and Mortar, Francie Lynch
- I must strike, gajanan mishra
- Yaadein...Your Memories, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi