'' After All We Are Your Tomorrow ''
When growing up life can be tough,
There’s so much you’re expected to learn,
What you do achieve is never enough,
Our elders respect you’re taught you must earn.
Personally I believe that should work both ways,
Yet they get annoyed if you disagree,
Even you’re right some still won’t praise,
Why oh why do they refuse to see.
Decisions they make are carved into stone,
We’re expected to go with the flow,
When proved wrong they refuse to atone,
To their ego that’s a bit of a blow.
They teach you mistakes are a part of your life,
Lessons learned are how you’ll survive,
Don’t they realise they can be the cause of our strife,
Which can inhibit our ability to thrive.
Knowledge is the key but it’s how we are taught,
Sometimes your way isn’t always best,
Forcing opinions on us can leave us fraught,
Ignoring our views can leave us depressed.
Every one of us has the ability to achieve,
There’ll be times we will kick up a fuss,
In our abilities you must try to believe,
To do that you must understand us.
Go back to that childhood you choose to forget,
There’s a rebel in every human being,
Those things you never done you’ll forever regret
If you’re honest you will now be agreeing.
We can learn from you but times do change,
Each generation will take a different view,
Though working together may at first seem strange,
Mutual respect will always win through.
We depend on you to teach us what's right,
Your ideals we will beg steal and borrow,
That way we’ll ensure both our futures are bright,
‘’ After All We Are Your Tomorrow ‘’
bri mar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem ('' After All We Are Your Tomorrow '' by bri mar )
- My Mother..., Taimane Fanene
- Ignoring Seasons, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Ephemera, Ian Nicholas McDowell
- Seeing light in Darkness, Aziz Akrish
- Mother! will I not be the saffron spot o.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- A Virtual Life, Sandra Feldman
- Never Ending Dreams, Lilly Emery
- My Soul's Song, Matthew Densley
- No love, Barbara Dixion
- Music Is Life, Ray Hansell
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)