Jon M. Nelson
I never knew what obstacles,
May be lurking around the bend.
There had been many times
I thought that my life would end.
I never knew who to trust,
I was in a world full of strangers.
Even though we were always alert,
It was hard to ignore the dangers.
Today there are still times when,
I wake up in the dead of night.
Even though I'm sound asleep,
I cannot shake that awful fright.
The memories always still haunt me,
I can't get them out of my head.
So often I look back and realize,
Many times I came close to being dead.
The war will never really be over,
For those who have lived through hell.
And as those thoughts always remain,
There are many stories we have to tell.
Jon M. Nelson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (After Shock by Jon M. Nelson )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- MAN WHO WALKED ON WATER, Colin Ian Jeffery
- Love and Tears, Beach Girl
- Till Now, Cheryl Griffith
- shamely departed, kyvin nash
- THEIR SMART MISSILES ARE NOT SMARTER THA.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Black Orchid, Beach Girl
- Play trick, hasmukh amathalal
- condemned, Mandolyn Davidson
- Love In A LifeTime, Melissa Furey
- Haves and havenots, gajanan mishra