Res John Burman
After The Storm
Ah, the wind, the wind is dying,
As it puts the storm to bed,
In the sky the clouds are flying
As they chase each other o’erhead.
The halyards on the masts
Are quiet now they sleep,
When in the night they shrieked
Like tormented from the deep.
The shore is piled high
With bladder wrack and weed
And in the rippling shallows
The swans still search for feed.
In the harbour they are bailing
Storm water from the boats
And the Ferry won’t be sailing
Till we’re wearing lighter coats.
They're sweeping shattered mast wood
From off the granite pier
And three boats sank in Old St Ives
Across the land neck there.
In the park they use a chain saw
To cut up fallen trees
But after a storm like that
There’ll be no more falling leaves.
The Fuchsia’s at the Station
So bonnie just last week
Are curled, burnt and shrivelled
From that storms salt reek.
I’ve salt upon my windows
Five hundred yards uphill
And though it’s battered now
And tattered, my flag is flying still.
Res John Burman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (After The Storm by Res John Burman )
- Feeling Love, Sandra Feldman
- so in other words, i laugh for two, Mandolyn ...
- Text time, george albot
- Deep Friendship, Sandra Feldman
- The Mighty Tumbler, Samya Bose
- puppy made of sand, lee fones
- Alive And With Medals, Clive Blake
- pull over for lightening, let's touch a .., Mandolyn ...
- ShakingThe Finger Tip, Is It Poetry
- Vent Of A Laden Heart, Lungelo Ndzimande
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)