Res John Burman
After The Storm
Ah, the wind, the wind is dying,
As it puts the storm to bed,
In the sky the clouds are flying
As they chase each other o’erhead.
The halyards on the masts
Are quiet now they sleep,
When in the night they shrieked
Like tormented from the deep.
The shore is piled high
With bladder wrack and weed
And in the rippling shallows
The swans still search for feed.
In the harbour they are bailing
Storm water from the boats
And the Ferry won’t be sailing
Till we’re wearing lighter coats.
They're sweeping shattered mast wood
From off the granite pier
And three boats sank in Old St Ives
Across the land neck there.
In the park they use a chain saw
To cut up fallen trees
But after a storm like that
There’ll be no more falling leaves.
The Fuchsia’s at the Station
So bonnie just last week
Are curled, burnt and shrivelled
From that storms salt reek.
I’ve salt upon my windows
Five hundred yards uphill
And though it’s battered now
And tattered, my flag is flying still.
Res John Burman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (After The Storm by Res John Burman )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- 'My Christmas Prayer' (For all who have .., Linda Winchell
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Ring Out , Wild Bells, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Sri Ramakrishna (1836 - 1886), Tushar Ray
- Love Is, Kristen Brown
- Poetry in Motion, Shahrokh Sharifrazy
- Nothing I Fear, Kristen Brown
- Tantalizing, Kristen Brown
- Your Heart Be At Ease (Rewrite), Kristen Brown
- Rosewater (Rewrite), Kristen Brown
- Passion (Rewrite), Kristen Brown
- My Note To Santa...Please Write A Letter.., Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- HIM, michael walkerjohn