A long eugenic past
reduces roses to
a vain and pampered caste.
Their charm is artifice,
their fragile shell of cells
unfit for wilderness.
Their languid symmetries
and anorexic airs
A run of blossoms, thick
and tangled by the road,
displays a truer pick.
Prefer the bindweed vines
that cannot stand alone
yet clench the mossy spines
of trees and grasp as tight
as nightmares or disease
while hoarding hints of light.
By cloning a delight,
obsessing towards some form,
we dull what should excite.
A rose bouquet contrives
to label wordless joy
when nothing true survives.
AM Juster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Against Roses by AM Juster )
- Non - Compliance, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Understanding, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Is homosexual an adultery?, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- my heart zeal's with the angels, Antonio Liao
- Peace Of The Soul, Michael McParland
- Dream: Not Scream, Aftab Alam
- Do you?, Petai Jirakongpipat
- Standing, Dislocated Heart
- There Goes Life (Dust To Dust), Michael McParland
- Bluened Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dirge, Ralph Waldo Emerson
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Incident In A Rose Garden (By Donald Jus.., michael zhitnitsky
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)