Against The Cold Pale Sky
Against the cold pale sky
The elm tree company rose high.
All the fine hues of day
That flowered so bold had died away.
Only chill blue, faint green,
And deepening dark blue were seen.
There swinging on a bough
That hung or floated broad and low.
The lamp of evening, bright
With more than planetary light,
Was beautiful and free--
A white bird swaying on the tree.
You watched and I watched,
Our eyes and hearts so surely matched.
We saw the white bird leap, leap
Shining in his journey steep
Through that vast cold sky.
Our hearts knew his unuttered cry--
A cry of free delight
Spreading over the clustering night.
Pole Hill grave and stark
Stared at the valley's tidal dark,
The Darent glimmered wan;
But that eager planet winging on,
And singing on, went high
Into the deeps and heights of sky.
And our thoughts rising too
Brightened the mortal darkness through
Trembled and danced and sang
Till the mute invisible heavens rang.
John Freeman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Against The Cold Pale Sky by John Freeman )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Life Image Distortions, Terence G. Craddock
- From Chibok With Love, Adeosun Olamide
- Happy Teacher's Day,2014, India, Dr John Celes
- Established To Accept, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I Feel So Stupid, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Thatch and Kilimanjaro, lee fones
- GAZA'S TRIUMPH IS EVERYONE'S انتصار غزة .., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- How, George Egba
- I Called Out To Love, Lora Colon
- Pages Of Unlimited Potential, RoseAnn V. Shawiak