* All Renowned
The rusted pier stands on its flaking frame,
and has withstood the pounding of the sea
for years. So long its been a devotee.
Yet distant music tells of revelry.
in times gone by, when all was fun and fame.
The theatre which once was filled with song,
with comedy and drama at its best.
Now lives no longer with it merry jest,
no cheering, no applause, all laid to rest.
Where once there was a joyful sing-along.
The clowns, the acrobats, magicians too,
would walk the boards and thrill the waiting crowd.
Shouting their jokes and yarns, feeling proud,
the audience applauding, shouting loud.
Many a Star making their first debut.
Those days have vanished now, memories die
somehow then pleasures were joyfully found.
Joys that now seem dull, did then abound,
and like the entertainers, all renowned.
with the pier have all said their goodbye.
© Ernestine Northover
Ernestine Northover's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (* All Renowned by Ernestine Northover )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(6 January 1878 – 22 July 1967)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- True Love, Robert Penn Warren
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
Poem of the Day
- Italian Birthday Poem, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- God's Most Published Poet, Tom Zart
- Fruitless love, Nero CaroZiv
- Misunderstood, Madrason writer
- Do what father says, Madrason writer
- Placid Emotions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Verzetsstrijders, Madrason writer
- Weke vaders, Madrason writer
- Disconnected, Madrason writer
- From what tall lie am I, Madrason writer