American Indian Flute Song
The American Indian flute song,
Played in my office all day long.
Evoking images of lonely, wide plains,
Of the American frontier of olden days,
Where the horses ran down the praries.
My ears heard the song as lonely musical notes.
The nighttime prarie seemed empty,
The wigwams with their stars above,
Standing with no sound around,
In a three-thousand mile wide nation,
That was soon to be alone.
The Cherokee nation didn't matter,
Neither the Navajho,
Just the other,
Caught in a race of total subjugation.
Not knowing the karma it would pay,
For the tragedies of both races,
Both travelling in irreversible paths,
Lead to the fall of North American Earth.
I turned off the flute music.
Then I left my office for lunch…
Now the flow of the traffic,
The noise of the honks,
The buildings looming high,
Scraping the sky.
The freeways a mess,
The favorite music station incoherent.
The lunch hour traffic way too fast.
The sun rays shining on this polluted Earth,
Climate changes or weather got wrong?
And the clogged-up sidewalks to walk upon,
Made everyone go back to their offices.
To hear the American Indian flute music,
Kicked-up a slight notch now.
The flute didn't sound at all,
This flute put me in a frame of mind,
Where peace could dwell and peace could find.
Vera Sidhwa's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (American Indian Flute Song by Vera Sidhwa )
- ABSENCE OF LOVE, Ali Faisal
- Black Friar, Naveed Khalid
- AOA▷오피뷰◁모든 구로오피 송파오피걸의 모든것 OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM, sibngnu5 sibngnu5
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ구로오피녀 ⓑ송파오피 대란∠OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, sibngnu5 sibngnu5
- She looked a million dollars, Erato
- L.Messi 오피뷰 구로오피 KTwiz 송파오피 OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., sibngnu5 sibngnu5
- From the Lives of My Friends, Michael Dickman
- WHENEVER A LIFE IS TAKEN, Ali Faisal
- VALUE OF LIFE, Ali Faisal
- For Some Slight I Can't Quite Recall, Ross Gay
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Samra, Said Akl
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Love's Philosophy, Percy Bysshe Shelley
- Bright Star, John Keats
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1886 - 1967)