An Alcoholic Coward, No More.
I used to hug a bottle like it was family,
I had lost the man in me,
I was a coward,
And I was completely wayward.
Only had friends when I was inebriated,
Now that I'm sober, they're gone and faded,
Jack and Sam took the edge off,
Blackened and damned, I wanted to walk to a ledge and dive off.
Clear vision was something to get accustomed to,
'Steven, this alcohol is bustin' you.' -from mom,
Words from folks that care always seem to hurt, like napalm.
They were sick of seeing vomit-covered shirts,
So I went through changes to make it work,
Unbelievably tired of being a drunk, teenage, burnout jerk.
And I only loved when girls were too drunk to think,
I was living my life, one night at a time and always on the brink.
So I filled my hollowed confidence,
With misled drifting girls. But now I'm convinced,
This has all taught me one fact,
That I needed to clean up my act.
Steven Elsner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Alcoholic Coward, No More. by Steven Elsner )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(22 March 1941 -)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(28 May 1779 – 25 February 1852)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Television, Roald Dahl
Poem of the Day
- New York City, Dawson Walter Smith
- I will turn my eyes from you, Nero CaroZiv
- In Concert Tonight, Donal Mahoney
- January 1st,2015, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- In My Dreams, Kyle Schlicher
- One Needs The Other, Kyle Schlicher
- Escaping The World, silenced work
- Lonely, silenced work
- Agnostic Afloat, Donal Mahoney
- Unharmed Pinecones, Saiom Shriver