An Alcoholic Coward, No More.
I used to hug a bottle like it was family,
I had lost the man in me,
I was a coward,
And I was completely wayward.
Only had friends when I was inebriated,
Now that I'm sober, they're gone and faded,
Jack and Sam took the edge off,
Blackened and damned, I wanted to walk to a ledge and dive off.
Clear vision was something to get accustomed to,
'Steven, this alcohol is bustin' you.' -from mom,
Words from folks that care always seem to hurt, like napalm.
They were sick of seeing vomit-covered shirts,
So I went through changes to make it work,
Unbelievably tired of being a drunk, teenage, burnout jerk.
And I only loved when girls were too drunk to think,
I was living my life, one night at a time and always on the brink.
So I filled my hollowed confidence,
With misled drifting girls. But now I'm convinced,
This has all taught me one fact,
That I needed to clean up my act.
Steven Elsner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Alcoholic Coward, No More. by Steven Elsner )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- A World Without Colour, Alex Lear
- À TOI, Rosie Bourget
- Psalm 077, Forrest Hainline
- Every day feels scripted, Mark Heathcote
- It's Not Your Fault, Sarah Liz Bowman
- Beauty Of Moonlight, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- misguide., tiffany white
- Parallel Lives, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- À L'ÉLU DE MON COEUR, Rosie Bourget
- Eagle, Luo Zhihai