An Average Indian Woman
He spills on her the oil of vitriol,
For being amiable and kind
Still flirts with the buxom beauties
On as many occasions as he can find!
He flaunts his kinky shirt, half naked on the road
While her honour lies passively robed, from head to toe!
Oh! the strings to hold the puppets for pleasure,
Yes, they are too old …
Why only the fairer blood,
Sacrificed at the altar of social role?
Even the gods were not spared, from the irony of accusation
She had to pass the fire-test,
To vanquish the venomous viper of doubt
Yes, she was fed to the hungry flames
Ethereal embodiment of loyal devotion,
A woman of such clout!
Then what to say of an average woman?
Alas! My Goddess,
Your daughter, this subdued woman …
This average Indian woman is expected to keep quite!
NEHA RAUTELA's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Average Indian Woman by NEHA RAUTELA )
- Aching For Us, Michael McParland
- A rose, a Bloom Grows and Glows, Harindhar Reddy
- This Night Must Be........., Neela Nath
- Art of Expression!, Manjeshwari P MYSORE
- Dangernerosity, Sentamu Aziz
- Anthropomorphous Foxes Jig with Fuss (Al.., Harindhar Reddy
- LAST HOPE, Satish Verma
- Democritus stands in silence, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Err, Human Mirror with Terror (Symbolism), Harindhar Reddy
- Fluttering Beauties, arun tp
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Sonnet I, Sir John Suckling
- Sestina, Elizabeth Bishop
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)