Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
An Ode to Eloise Watkins Moses...My Forever Friend
We met in 8th grade...We became great friends and
She Dared Me To Write my First Poem January 21,1948...we were both 16...I on January 9th and she on January 20th same year.
'I bet you can't write the second verse to this poem! ' she said to me in sassy manner...
She shoves a note book page to me with a scribble in her handwriting.
The title was 'I Love To Dance! '
How absurd I thought, after all, I was a 'singer! '
Without hesitation I took the paper and began to write...'I'd love to be held close in your arms where only I could share all your charms...'
I followed with a few more line of 'poetic bliss', to my thinking, and her respone was...'How did you do that? '
I replied, hands on hips, 'Well you wrote the first so I wrote the second! '
Eloise replied in evident astonishment, 'Girl, mine was from a song sheet! '
We fell out laughing as any 16 year olds would do.
Of course, I've written thousands of poems since then and I often say, 'It's like breathing to me! '.
My friend Eloise will be laid to rest tomorrow, March 16,2013...Such a sad song for me. We stayed in touch over the years and often still laughed about that dare for me to write a second verse...Who knew? !
Dorothy Alves Holmes
My heart is filled with the sorrow of Eloise's demise
Yet I sing still
Dorothy (Alves) Holmes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Ode to Eloise Watkins Moses...My Forever Friend by Dorothy (Alves) Holmes )
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Greeting Cards, Sara Fielder
- The Lorry From The North, Tony Adah
- Father's Admonition, Tony Adah
- Those who lose, Luv Artem
- The Making of Me: Tune Me Up, Niealie Petit
- Show Your Love, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Time Is Of Love, Naveed Akram
- The Wings Of Time, Noah Body
- Passing By The Pond, Tony Adah
- Ode to Now, David Whalen