Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
An Ode to Eloise Watkins Moses...My Forever Friend
We met in 8th grade...We became great friends and
She Dared Me To Write my First Poem January 21,1948...we were both 16...I on January 9th and she on January 20th same year.
'I bet you can't write the second verse to this poem! ' she said to me in sassy manner...
She shoves a note book page to me with a scribble in her handwriting.
The title was 'I Love To Dance! '
How absurd I thought, after all, I was a 'singer! '
Without hesitation I took the paper and began to write...'I'd love to be held close in your arms where only I could share all your charms...'
I followed with a few more line of 'poetic bliss', to my thinking, and her respone was...'How did you do that? '
I replied, hands on hips, 'Well you wrote the first so I wrote the second! '
Eloise replied in evident astonishment, 'Girl, mine was from a song sheet! '
We fell out laughing as any 16 year olds would do.
Of course, I've written thousands of poems since then and I often say, 'It's like breathing to me! '.
My friend Eloise will be laid to rest tomorrow, March 16,2013...Such a sad song for me. We stayed in touch over the years and often still laughed about that dare for me to write a second verse...Who knew? !
Dorothy Alves Holmes
My heart is filled with the sorrow of Eloise's demise
Yet I sing still
Dorothy (Alves) Holmes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Ode to Eloise Watkins Moses...My Forever Friend by Dorothy (Alves) Holmes )
- Ponder, John Shea
- An amber for her soul, Wenjun Liu
- Mourn the Mastodon, G. E. Gorfu
- The Phoenix, G. E. Gorfu
- What Shall I Serve You?, Valsa George
- Be Steady, Be Ready, Cindy Wyatt
- The Chasm, G. E. Gorfu
- I am born on the land, ramesh rai
- John Ashbery: Some Personal Reflections, Ron Price
- meet my new jabberwocky, Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)