Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
An Ode to Eloise Watkins Moses...My Forever Friend
We met in 8th grade...We became great friends and
She Dared Me To Write my First Poem January 21,1948...we were both 16...I on January 9th and she on January 20th same year.
'I bet you can't write the second verse to this poem! ' she said to me in sassy manner...
She shoves a note book page to me with a scribble in her handwriting.
The title was 'I Love To Dance! '
How absurd I thought, after all, I was a 'singer! '
Without hesitation I took the paper and began to write...'I'd love to be held close in your arms where only I could share all your charms...'
I followed with a few more line of 'poetic bliss', to my thinking, and her respone was...'How did you do that? '
I replied, hands on hips, 'Well you wrote the first so I wrote the second! '
Eloise replied in evident astonishment, 'Girl, mine was from a song sheet! '
We fell out laughing as any 16 year olds would do.
Of course, I've written thousands of poems since then and I often say, 'It's like breathing to me! '.
My friend Eloise will be laid to rest tomorrow, March 16,2013...Such a sad song for me. We stayed in touch over the years and often still laughed about that dare for me to write a second verse...Who knew? !
Dorothy Alves Holmes
My heart is filled with the sorrow of Eloise's demise
Yet I sing still
Dorothy (Alves) Holmes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Ode to Eloise Watkins Moses...My Forever Friend by Dorothy (Alves) Holmes )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(12 May 1828 – 9 April 1882)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(3rd April 19sixty)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- the half truth, Dr Puneet Aggarwal
- Argumentative ones, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Love children, gajanan mishra
- 25 December 2014, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Wipe out terrorism, gajanan mishra
- The hilarious children., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Let us discuss poems, gajanan mishra
- Eyes Tell a Story, Rohit Sapra
- Jadavpur And The Adda of Love, Bijay Kant Dubey
- O Governor-Chancellor, I Am A Jadavpuria.., Bijay Kant Dubey