An Ode To Papad
[Appadam or Appalam or Papadam or Papad is a thin crisp cake made of pulses or sago or potato and is baked or fried; eaten along with meal.]
Ambrosia art thou - Papad or Papadam or Appadam!
Adam, had he known about thee, the pretty Papadam,
Could surely have said: “Eve, my dear madam,
We’ll feast on Appadam and not apple to escape from God’s damn.”
Aphrodisiac art thou - Appadam or Papadam or Papad!
Whatever thy name or thy recipe – goes on the fad
To daintily bite thee. To any menu relish thou wouldst add.
Every wife orders thee, every husband buys thee grand.
Love-potion art thou - Appadam or Papadam or Papad!
Thou art a crispy, crunchy treat to any lass or lad
Without thee their love turns sour and so bad
Papad-less parties flop and drive everyone mad.
Elixir art thou - Appadam or Papadam or Papad!
A delicious and winsome theme for any true bard
Else his wife makes his life woefully sad.
He that can’t swoon over thee is a crass cad.
Panacea art thou - Appadam or Papadam or Papad!
East-west-north-south – everywhere thou dost command
Thou Papad, an irresistible savory brand
Like big wheels rollest on – ad or no ad.
[Mar 17,2009: : Hyderabad - 500 056]
AtreyaSarma Uppaluri's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Ode To Papad by AtreyaSarma Uppaluri )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- SUPER LOVER~~ Michael Mcparland! ! ! !, Mr. Nobody
- Solid Convictions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Fallen flower, hasmukh amathalal
- We all cry, hasmukh amathalal
- Innate Supply Of Ideas, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Mystical Desires, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Fighting, Dark Guardian
- I Like My Lips Against Yours, Is It Poetry
- Sound Of India, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Best Test, John Shea