An Ode To Papad
[Appadam or Appalam or Papadam or Papad is a thin crisp cake made of pulses or sago or potato and is baked or fried; eaten along with meal.]
Ambrosia art thou - Papad or Papadam or Appadam!
Adam, had he known about thee, the pretty Papadam,
Could surely have said: “Eve, my dear madam,
We’ll feast on Appadam and not apple to escape from God’s damn.”
Aphrodisiac art thou - Appadam or Papadam or Papad!
Whatever thy name or thy recipe – goes on the fad
To daintily bite thee. To any menu relish thou wouldst add.
Every wife orders thee, every husband buys thee grand.
Love-potion art thou - Appadam or Papadam or Papad!
Thou art a crispy, crunchy treat to any lass or lad
Without thee their love turns sour and so bad
Papad-less parties flop and drive everyone mad.
Elixir art thou - Appadam or Papadam or Papad!
A delicious and winsome theme for any true bard
Else his wife makes his life woefully sad.
He that can’t swoon over thee is a crass cad.
Panacea art thou - Appadam or Papadam or Papad!
East-west-north-south – everywhere thou dost command
Thou Papad, an irresistible savory brand
Like big wheels rollest on – ad or no ad.
[Mar 17,2009: : Hyderabad - 500 056]
AtreyaSarma Uppaluri's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Ode To Papad by AtreyaSarma Uppaluri )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Creation Of Inner Being, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Death (Haiku), Jesus James Llorico
- Voyage of the Wedding-Guest, Victor Cruickshank
- Irrevocable Friend, nikka mee farillon
- Silent Awakening, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I Still Read..... For Sandra Feldman, Michael McParland
- The Great Waters, Victor Cruickshank
- Continually Entering The Present, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- তুমি থাকলে পাশে, Dr. Prabir Acharjee Nayan
- The AP exams, Victor Cruickshank