Anansi, the clever trickster
Always takes center stage
Hard as he tried
Could not trick brother dog
He smells him, miles away.
So it is today
Political monsters, concoct, in secret
To bind us again
Pungent schemes discern
Before they are legislated.
Would tell us nursery rhymes
But the cadences are not riveting
Time they change some strings
The old tunes, not captivating.
We know, we are convinced
The laws are not always just
they are the instruments used to cage us
Shackles are hardly used anymore
The letter of the law is what blind us.
Minorities are not scared
In this time
We are aware of what up the sleeves
In this time
We will not worship your gods
We will not take your sacraments
We will not stand in lines
We serve Jesus
We govern ourselves.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Anansi by Buxton Shippy )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Request, Frieda Risvold
- Khwab martay nhi! ~(inspired) ~, Shahzia Batool
- Deep Sadness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Will never ask for more than this..., Alok Singhal
- Circumventing Trails, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Morning, Ruma Chaudhuri
- The Sign, Rex mayor Ubini
- Open Letter to Lady Poetry, Sandra Feldman
- Mbase nuk e dinte…, skender iljaz braka
- Prej njerëzores dua të digjem, skender iljaz braka